Thursday 27 October 2011

Final Post and References and Comments

 Well that's me! While I can't say me and blogging necessarily agree with each other, me and cooking go hand in hand! I must admit learning to cook mindfully has been a positive experience, and has increased my enjoyment of it. I've also been able to discover a deeper need for cooking beyond needing energy; the need to stand on my own two feet! Good Luck Everyone!


Here's my references:


Caulton, R. & Dickson, R. (2007). What’s going on? Finding an explanation for what we do. In J. Creek & A. Lawson-Porter (Eds.), Contemporary issues in occupational therapy (pp. 87-114). Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- This reference was really useful in that it really made me think about the importance of ergonomics in certain Occupational Therapy fields. As a result it made me think about how it was important to understand the ergonomics of activities, and in relation to me, the ergonomics of cooking. I know from fieldwork experience that cooking is used often, and while I have been cooking over the last few months I have developed a better appreciation of ergonomics of cooking because of how I can apply this quote to cooking. In short this quote made me realise the importance of understanding the ergonomics of cooking.


Visser, M. (1991). The Rituals of Dinner. Penguin Books. New York.
- This quote was really useful in helping me identify that cooking and eating really do afford communication. It is often taken for granted that you often talk while you eat or cook, and this quote really brought this fact to light. I was able to then recognise the many, many times I have discussed recipes, got advice from others, bragged a little bit, or even just chatted while cooking or eating.


English Oxford Dictionary. (2011). Retrieved October 13th, 2011 from http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/aesthetics
- While this quote was not from a cooking-related story, or even an Occupational Therapy reference, I found it useful as it was a clear description of aesthetics, and I could immediately identify the aesthetics of my cooking. I think sometimes some references can be unclear, or you have to sift through a lot of detail to find meaning, whereas this quote could be directly applied to what I was wanting to do.


Ekstrom, M.P. & Jonsson, I.M. (2005). Family meals: Competence, cooking and company. Paper presented at the Symposium: Food in contemporary society: Food is not only nutrition. Department of Home Economics and Craft Sciences. Retrieved October 13th, 2001 from: 
http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/palojoki/english/nordplus/FAMILY_MEALSpipping.pdf

- This quote was really useful for me, and may even have been the most useful quote in helping me discover my need for cooking. I had been struggling in the weeks before this post to find the need beyond needing energy. I was able to identify with the notion that somebody has to take responsibility for cooking meals, and I felt it paralleled with my current and potential future. I need to cook for myself to know I can look after myself, and to know I can look after others when the time comes. 


Reed, K. L. & Sanderson, S. N. (1999). Concepts of occupational therapy. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore.
- This quote was a really useful way to sum up ambience. Having learned in class that ambience can also be thought of as the essence of given occupations, this quote helped me to see the product of that essence; how cooking feels, and the mood created through the repetitive, temporary nature of food and cooking. Ambience is a hard thing to pin down and capture with words, but this quote was a really clear way to express ambience.


And Here's my comments:


Hopefully my comments have loaded onto the other blogs but if not, here they are!


Matt http://mattgeeetar.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-six-final-chapter.html#comments


Hey Matt, what a cool blog! You seems really passionate, about playing guitar and I think its cool you're trying to make the next step to being in a band, takes a lot of guts!
Watched your videos too, was really good!
Have you considered jamming with people who play instruments that don't traditionally fit with guitar? Could make an interesting mix!



Stu http://stupearce.blogspot.com/2011/10/why-i-need-my-chickens.html#comments


Hey Stu, cool blog! Love the chicken shenanigans! Just wondering if the kids have a need for the chickens as well? i.e., If they enjoy hanging around outside with the chickens maybe there is a need there for you too; to keep the kids entertained, or maybe to draw happiness from the kids enjoyment?


Judith http://participationandoccupation2.blogspot.com/2011/10/penguins-end.html#comments


Hey Judith, good job on the blog! Your writing style is very clear and easy to follow. Just wondering which post was about ambience? Had a bit of trouble finding it! Good job otherwise!


Rachael Watson http://meaningfuloccupation.blogspot.com/2011/10/tulips-kitty-cats.html#comments


Really cool pictures Rachael! I don't know much about photography so was good to find out a bit about what makes a good picture. Are you able to employ all the same techniques with moving objects? Maybe you could include something about this for us uneducated folk?


1 comment:

  1. A career as an occupational therapy will offer you a great number of benefits, rewards and other positive factors. From one person to the next, every individual may have a different reason for getting started down this path, or for why they love it as much as they do. View the site for the details.

    ReplyDelete