Wednesday 12 October 2011

Tutorial One - Cooking


Hi everyone, I'm having another go at blogging for Participation in Occupation Two. We have been instructed to choose an occupation we engage in for more than twohours per week. Had this been done in the first semester I could have done soccer which I could write all day about! Unfortunately the season is finished and I wouldn't say I do it for two hours per week at the moment. So I've decided to do cooking, and since I love to eat it should be fun! Hopefully I can try out some new recipes and ideas.


Cooking: Cooking is an activity that everybody either engages in or benefits from. it provides food and energy for us to survive and as such is an essential skill in everyday life. sometimes people cook minimally, purely for the purpose of feeding themselves or others, for others it is a chance to express themselves and be creative in the way they make food.


Practical Considerations: Money is a big thing to consider when cooking, especially in my situation I am limited in how much I can spend, so I suppose I can't be as creative as I would like. As a result I try to make cheap tasty meals. The kitchen is a huge consideration - the quality of the oven, microwave etc, what cooking utensils are available and the quality of these. For example, blunt knives can make cutting meat and veges quite frustrating and take up lots of time. Kitchens can usually be quite crowded with other people trying to use it, which presents its own problems.


What is cooking like to me: I learned to cook at home at a very basic level, mostly meat and 3 veg types of meals. Having lived in a few different flats now, I would say my cooking and creativity has improved and my appreciation of different foods has increased. I would still consider myself a novice but I would love to get better. I suppose a lot of the 'cooking' or preparing meals I do is pretty basic especially if I am just cooking for myself, making things like omelettes or spag bol. I'm quite keen on making soup at the moment and I imagine a lot of the focus in this blog will be about this. Occasionally I like to cook for others, on special occasions or to demonstrate a new meal I can cook. when I cook for others, I enjoy the appreciation I get from others.


What does cooking mean in Occupational Therapy: Cooking is considered as an instrumental activity of daily living (IADL). It is something that is essential for our survival, so it is important that individuals possess at least the basic cooking skills, so that they can look after themselves. How people cook can have an impact on people's nutrition, can provide a role within a household or other dwelling, and can mean people are engaged in meaningful occupation, either as an IADL, or as a more creative or leisure activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment